Will Rich make it through The Forrest?

When I first hear of this match-up, I jumped for joy! Over the years, I've come to become a huge fan of both. I went to my first UFC event in Las Vegas. Saw Griffin take the Light Heavyweight Championship from Rampage Jackson. I was also at the event in British Columbia when Franklin knocked out Chuck Liddell. So I'll be happy with whomever wins.


Forrest Griffin, the first Ultimate fighter, has been out of the game for a year. Coming back to UFC he's looking to secure a win and show everyone he's still a contender in the LHW Div. His strategy against Franklin? His clinch game, he feels that its his most underrated skill.  Franklin's striking is a bit unorthodox, more of a brawler. However I doubt he'll be able to knock out Franklin. What I don't doubt is his heart and passion for the sport.  Not only is he a tough, but he's also very large. He may want to take advantage of his size and takedown Franklin. Get control on the ground and utilize some of his grappling and jui-jitsu talents. 

On the other hand, Rich Franklin has excellent striking. Anderson Silva KO'd both Griffin and Franklin. However Franklin still has managed a knockout career. He won more than half his fights by KO. He may not have a reach advantage but I see him staying on the outside, landing points when he can. He's got a decent ground game, and is capable of submission wins. 

I would give Franklin a slight edge over Griffin. Overall both these fighters have a well rounded game and should turn out a good fight.  Possibly Fight of the Night? - or should I save that for Jones/Bader? Ultimately, for me it comes down to who I like more… 

So I'm taking GRIFFIN via DECISION.

No comments:

Post a Comment

... follow me on twitter: @trinidypicks